Ceiling Fans Made Simple
Here we've addressed all the big questions you may have about ceiling fans, Regency or otherwise. Take a tour and see if we can help you understand ceiling fans better.
- Quality Motors
- The motor is the heart of the fan and is responsible for supplying the power to drive the fan’s blades for maximum performance. Motor sizes are identifi ed by the diameter and the height of the motor. Small motormeasure 153 x 10 millimeters and up to 188 x 25mm for large motors. Regency motors are carefully selected to be the most effi cient for the fan’s blade size and the room’s environment.
- Quality Blades
- Quality blades are laminated wood construction (like plywood) and are covered with sealing stains or poly coatings to keep out moisture and resist warping. Regency uses the best real wood veneer. Blades are packaged into matched sets and are computer balanced to within one gram of each other. Regency’s blade arms, made of high grade die cast zinc or steel, are measured to the exact same pitch and balance and have large mounting screws with lock washers to ensure exact alignment.
- Maximum Performance
- The duty of any well-designed fan is to move the most air possible. The pitch of the blades (in degrees from horizontal) determines how much air is blown as the blades move through the air. More pitch means more air is moved, but it’s not quite that simple. Greater pitch requires a stronger motor to maximize air movement. For example, Regency’s highest blade pitch model is the 20 degree pitch Tropic Air and it uses Regency’s strongest motor.
- Maximum Performance
- Quality motors will usually have electrical ratings of 1.5 amps or less and can deliver all of the power needed, because quality materials like high grade copper wire, precision bearings and dynamically balanced aluminum rotors are used. Lesser motors may have electrical ratings of up to 3 amps or more but they are only using more electricity to do the same job. All of Regency’s fans have electrical ratings of 1.5 amps or less.
- Quiet Operation
- Many quality features contribute to the silent operation of a fan. Here are the most important:
Regency uses only double-sealed and lubricated-for-life high grade steel bearings. The lubricant stays in and the dust and dirt stays out for quiet, lifelong operation.
- Speed Control
Capacitors control the speed of the fan and Regency uses a separate one for each speed – three in every three-speed fan. Single capacitor fans can be three-speed, but cost less to build and will most certainly hum throughout the fan’s lifetime.
- Vibration Isolators
A quality fan’s small motor vibrations will be damped out by the generous use of gaskets and washers throughout. Regency uses the highest quality rubber hang bracket isolators, motor gaskets and blade screw washers for quiet operation.
- Summer Versus Winter
- What's Your Ceiling Slope?
Supplied mounting brackets allow mounting on ceiling slopes up to 28°(6/12 pitch), some up to 39°(8/12 pitch). Regency's optional slope kit shown in our accessories section allows mounting on ceilings up to 48°(greater than 12/12 pitch). When using canopy installed remote controls, maximum slope is restricted to 15°(3/12 pitch). Sloped ceiling kit is not adaptable to canopy installed remote control use. The chart above explains the relationship between degrees and pitch.
- A Regency Fan for Every Room Size
- What About Ceiling Height?
Be sure there is at least 7 foot of clearance under your ceiling fan blades. The standard 4"-6" downrod should work in most 8 ft. ceiling installations. This will position the blades far enough from the ceiling to have enough "supply" air above the blades to provide good air movement. If greater floor to fan clearance is needed, most fans can be mounted "close-up" without using any downrod. However, air movement is reduced using the close-up mounting. The chart above shows recommended downrod lengths for various ceiling heights.
- Simple Installation
- Proper installation is essential to guarantee a quiet, smooth running ceiling fan. Regency has built features into the design of all fans to make the installation very simple and ensure that every component fits tightly together, stays in alignment and operates silently and wobble free.